20First Century Heretic

An attempt at orientation in life through an Anabaptist, Mennonite, urban, progressive, white, seminary-trained, male, paid-clergy perspective.

Tuesday, August 17

Complexity killed the cat

I walked to work this morning. Not for any great cause, though if you pressed me the particular part of my brain that loves to rant would immediately spring to life as champion of some great cause or other. Maybe its that champion that kills me so often? But no, I walked to work this morning because I'm a simple person. Sometimes the complexity of life nearly drowns my soul in grief. Walking - at least for today - was all I could manage. Even my bicylce was too fast for my overstimulated braincells. So I, unawares and tired, walked. I'm not even sure why. But then again, why drive? Why the hell should I ride my bike? To save myself 5 minutes in a days time? So I can "rush" out to minister if the call arises? Or is it because in the driving I stop being normal and I begin to be "pastor"? This "game" that we're taught to play is so tedious. And I'm not interested in trading in this game for any other game.
Walking, somehow, was the only thing I could do that didn't make me feel like a machine. Maybe it was one small line I drew to say, "This far and no farther." A grasping at the spirit through the means of the physical. Whatever reason I had I do not know. But I do know it was hardly even a choice. It simply happened. It felt right. I think I'll stop now, so I can walk home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home